What is the infinite game? Here’s your cheat sheet
Tweaking my decision-making with the infinite game mindset.
I have found it to be a key to imagining (and building) a world of abundance and opportunity vs a world of scarcity and conflict.
The idea was first articulated by James Carse in his book: Finite and Infinite Games.
Here are the main principles.
Finite vs Infinite Games
- Finite games end. There is a winner and a loser. Infinite games never end. They exist to play.
- In finite games, the rules don’t change. In infinite games, the rules must change to keep the game in play.
- Finite games play within boundaries. Infinite games play with boundaries.
- Finite players are serious. Infinite players are playful.
- Finite players win titles. Infinite players have nothing but their names.
- Finite players play to be powerful. An infinite player plays with strength.
- Finite players are theatrical — they take a role in someone else’s script. Infinite players are dramatic — they become the protagonist.
- Finite players consume time. Infinite players generate time.
- Finite players want eternal life. The infinite player wants eternal birth. They know they will never finish the game which will go on without them.
What decision do I need to make today and how could it be different?
🖖🏻 I’m building out loud.
Subscribe here — https://philmorle.medium.com/subscribe or follow me @philmorle
Read this post and more on my Typeshare Social Blog